Work on the Old Opera House began on September 18, 1899 by a contractor named Harvey Everett.  He used mostly volunteer help to build it.  The theater opened on a Saturday evening on July 28, 1900 with the celebrated drama, “Santiago.” The building was dedicated on December 1,, 1901.  A dance hall in the basement and, later on, a motion picture screen, made the building the center of recreation for many years.  The Saturday night dances that were held in the basement of the Opera House were a county attraction.  Residents from Tooele and other valley locations attended the festivities on a weekly basis.


Location: On the northside of Grantsville’s main street at approximately 130 W. Main. Structure no longer exists.

Continue to Iosepa >>